The Gate

Björk's upcoming ninth studio album - details to be announced soon

The Gate

Postby mrjvl » Thu, Aug, 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Thank you Dazed magazine interview! So it seems that we have the title of the possible lead single, as well as a few other song titles from the album.

The article also reveals that video artist Andrew Thomas Huang—who directed the Vulnicura clips for “Family,” “Stonemilker,” and “Black Lake”—is working on a new video for her song “The Gate,” featuring “a bespoke dress designed by Gucci’s Alessandro Michele and a headpiece by regular collaborator James Merry.”
- pitchfork

A few song titles from the new album are revealed in the piece, including “Allow,” “Loss,” “Features Creatures,” and “The Gate.” It’s revealed that visual artist Thomas Andrew Huang, who directed three Vulnicura videos, has already shot a video for “The Gate.”
- spin
User avatar
mrjvl
[telegram]
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Fri, Oct, 17, 2014 6:36 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: The Gate

Postby cancan » Thu, Aug, 03, 2017 2:35 pm

open it
User avatar
cancan
[debut]
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed, Aug, 02, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: The Gate

Postby Anak » Thu, Aug, 03, 2017 3:08 pm

cancan wrote:open it


Image
User avatar
Anak
[medúlla]
 
Posts: 2009
Joined: Sun, Jan, 04, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Gate

Postby shapeshifter » Thu, Aug, 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Alessandro Michele is the designer of that headpiece from the Airwaves gig, right?
Light blue again :sacrifice:

Image
User avatar
shapeshifter
[homogenic]
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed, Mar, 11, 2015 10:55 pm

Re: The Gate

Postby DrBenway12 » Thu, Aug, 03, 2017 7:17 pm

Seems risky to have this many song titles out, I think that's what caused Vulnicura to leak people were able to search for all these keywords.
User avatar
DrBenway12
[post]
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat, Jan, 17, 2015 9:47 am
Location: INterzone

Re: The Gate

Postby shapeshifter » Thu, Aug, 03, 2017 8:40 pm

DrBenway12 wrote:Seems risky to have this many song titles out, I think that's what caused Vulnicura to leak people were able to search for all these keywords.


I think it's OK. Why would she give the names to a journalist during a magazine interview then? Vulnicura only leaked because someone had access to the premaster and put it up. For this one, it seems they are handling things better...

BTW, a (noise) gate is also an audio term. Could be interesting if Björk went a little bit literal and made an artistic musical usage of this, considering the title...
User avatar
shapeshifter
[homogenic]
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed, Mar, 11, 2015 10:55 pm

Re: The Gate

Postby perUmbram » Thu, Aug, 03, 2017 11:54 pm

shapeshifter wrote:BTW, a (noise) gate is also an audio term. Could be interesting if Björk went a little bit literal and made an artistic musical usage of this, considering the title...


The only thing is that a noise gate usually functions to make soft stuff inaudible :wink: björk's 4'33"?
User avatar
perUmbram
[homogenic]
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu, May, 01, 2014 12:14 am
Location: Leiden, Netherlands

Re: The Gate

Postby faber » Fri, Aug, 04, 2017 12:53 am

DrBenway12 wrote:Seems risky to have this many song titles out, I think that's what caused Vulnicura to leak people were able to search for all these keywords.

That makes no sense dear, Vulnicura leak came from a south american leaker - probably someone involved in the shipping production or post-production duties. Since then and also Madonna's rebel heart leak, records post-production has been more strict and safe. i'm sure björk and her team were extra-careful this time around
User avatar
faber
[biophilia]
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Tue, Aug, 30, 2011 10:09 am
Location: Italy

Re: The Gate

Postby postbj0rk » Fri, Aug, 04, 2017 1:42 am

faber wrote:
DrBenway12 wrote:Seems risky to have this many song titles out, I think that's what caused Vulnicura to leak people were able to search for all these keywords.

That makes no sense dear, Vulnicura leak came from a south american leaker - probably someone involved in the shipping production or post-production duties. Since then and also Madonna's rebel heart leak, records post-production has been more strict and safe. i'm sure björk and her team were extra-careful this time around


hackers in israel, russia and north korea can get around that with no problem. She's taking a risk.
postbj0rk
[debut]
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu, Jun, 28, 2012 12:23 am

Re: The Gate

Postby postbj0rk » Fri, Aug, 04, 2017 1:44 am

shapeshifter wrote:Alessandro Michele is the designer of that headpiece from the Airwaves gig, right?
Light blue again :sacrifice:

Image


she really should stop covering her face. sia cornered that market and already got tired of it. bjork's a beautiful woman and should stop hiding herself.
postbj0rk
[debut]
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu, Jun, 28, 2012 12:23 am

Re: The Gate

Postby odduck » Fri, Aug, 04, 2017 2:12 am

postbj0rk wrote:hackers in israel, russia and north korea can get around that with no problem. She's taking a risk.


So you're saying that she's asking for it by flaunting her song names like that?
User avatar
odduck
[vespertine]
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue, Mar, 31, 2015 11:11 am

Re: The Gate

Postby m.thr.n » Fri, Aug, 04, 2017 2:22 am

postbj0rk wrote:hackers in israel, russia and north korea can get around that with no problem. She's taking a risk.


Going by your logic, every band announcing their album is "taking a risk" by sharing tracklisting. Them hackers sure must be busy.

*

Anyway, do you think we'll get the video soon? According to the Dazed article it was shot in May. It's not that long ago, is it? I don't know how much time Andrew Huang needs for post-production.
User avatar
m.thr.n
[biophilia]
 
Posts: 4462
Joined: Wed, Dec, 08, 2010 9:58 am
Location: the glorious land

Re: The Gate

Postby Unravel Virus » Fri, Aug, 04, 2017 2:30 am

I think we can expect the video by the end of this month, album in sep
User avatar
Unravel Virus
[debut]
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun, Mar, 08, 2015 2:55 am

Re: The Gate

Postby benjicoq » Fri, Aug, 04, 2017 4:37 am

postbj0rk wrote:
shapeshifter wrote:Alessandro Michele is the designer of that headpiece from the Airwaves gig, right?
Light blue again :sacrifice:

Image


she really should stop covering her face. sia cornered that market and already got tired of it. bjork's a beautiful woman and should stop hiding herself.

bjork should be left alone and she's a grown woman who can make her own choices.
SHe said it made her more free on stage, whatever. she doesn't owe any of her her "beautiful face"
User avatar
benjicoq
[bastards]
 
Posts: 6059
Joined: Wed, Feb, 02, 2005 3:39 am
Location: Paris

Re: The Gate

Postby ultramarine » Fri, Aug, 04, 2017 5:18 am

benjicoq wrote:
postbj0rk wrote:
shapeshifter wrote:Alessandro Michele is the designer of that headpiece from the Airwaves gig, right?
Light blue again :sacrifice:

Image


she really should stop covering her face. sia cornered that market and already got tired of it. bjork's a beautiful woman and should stop hiding herself.

bjork should be left alone and she's a grown woman who can make her own choices.
SHe said it made her more free on stage, whatever. she doesn't owe any of her her "beautiful face"


agreed. her covering her face has nothing to do with her hiding herself because she is old or ugly or whatever, as far as I know; it is part of the aesthetics of the vulnicura project (and the later :album11: era) and she'll stop it whenever she does

i personally think james merry's masks are gorgeous and i have been looking forward to seeing what mask she would wear for a concert, so i'm fine if she keeps them on for this coming era as well, but i doubt it, though there will probably be a transition period
User avatar
ultramarine
[selmasongs]
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue, Jan, 13, 2015 4:52 pm
Location: NYC

Re: The Gate

Postby gmax1204 » Fri, Aug, 04, 2017 6:03 am

ultramarine wrote:agreed. her covering her face has nothing to do with her hiding herself because she is old or ugly or whatever, as far as I know; it is part of the aesthetics of the vulnicura project (and the later :album11: era) and she'll stop it whenever she does

i personally think james merry's masks are gorgeous and i have been looking forward to seeing what mask she would wear for a concert, so i'm fine if she keeps them on for this coming era as well, but i doubt it, though there will probably be a transition period


to be fair she has been kind of covering herself since the :album8: era. since vespertine we haven't seen a "pure" björk on a cover. on medulla its the hair sculpture, on volta the statue, on biophilia the humongous wig and finally, the headpiece on vulnicura. she painted her face on the volta tour and wore all those wigs on the biophilia tour + the taiko makeda(?) headpiece, which we saw again on the vulnicover and -tour along with all these masks. so i don't feel like she's gonna stop.
User avatar
gmax1204
[telegram]
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Fri, Oct, 21, 2016 6:37 am

Re: The Gate

Postby ultramarine » Fri, Aug, 04, 2017 7:51 am

gmax1204 wrote:
ultramarine wrote:agreed. her covering her face has nothing to do with her hiding herself because she is old or ugly or whatever, as far as I know; it is part of the aesthetics of the vulnicura project (and the later :album11: era) and she'll stop it whenever she does

i personally think james merry's masks are gorgeous and i have been looking forward to seeing what mask she would wear for a concert, so i'm fine if she keeps them on for this coming era as well, but i doubt it, though there will probably be a transition period


to be fair she has been kind of covering herself since the :album8: era. since vespertine we haven't seen a "pure" björk on a cover. on medulla its the hair sculpture, on volta the statue, on biophilia the humongous wig and finally, the headpiece on vulnicura. she painted her face on the volta tour and wore all those wigs on the biophilia tour + the taiko makeda(?) headpiece, which we saw again on the vulnicover and -tour along with all these masks. so i don't feel like she's gonna stop.


and there was also the black paint on her face during the :album6: tour and the white during the :album4: tour; yeah, she likes things done to her face :D
User avatar
ultramarine
[selmasongs]
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue, Jan, 13, 2015 4:52 pm
Location: NYC

Re: The Gate

Postby Anak » Fri, Aug, 04, 2017 10:21 am

perUmbram wrote:
shapeshifter wrote:BTW, a (noise) gate is also an audio term. Could be interesting if Björk went a little bit literal and made an artistic musical usage of this, considering the title...


The only thing is that a noise gate usually functions to make soft stuff inaudible :wink: björk's 4'33"?


Well technically gates are dynamic effects that don't just "make soft stuff inaudible", they just open/close at a certain volume.
I know you use a gate to make certain stutter effects, so that'd be interesting to hear
User avatar
Anak
[medúlla]
 
Posts: 2009
Joined: Sun, Jan, 04, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Gate

Postby Bonkiii » Fri, Aug, 04, 2017 10:33 am

from the name of the song, this will be the perfect opener / introduction to the album!
She is now on the lighter side of music... the gate is opening to let her drift into the air... to love...
from twilight (vulnicura) to dawn (new album)
User avatar
Bonkiii
[debut]
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu, Aug, 03, 2017 10:58 pm
Location: Berlin

Re: The Gate

Postby stavaas » Wed, Aug, 16, 2017 12:37 am

When you google "bjork the gate":

Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe. Learn more

:shifty: :shifty: :shifty:
User avatar
stavaas
[homogenic]
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun, Oct, 12, 2014 5:21 am

Next


x Users browsing this forum: mrs bungle