The Gate

Björk's upcoming ninth studio album - details to be announced soon

Re: The Gate

Postby Erik » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 12:12 pm

I've seen 4/5 minute songs that have filled up a side of vinyl like that, it just depends how the song is cut and what speed. but yeah it looks like there's some loud parts and some quiet from the videos of the vinyl being pressed.
Erik
[vespertine]

Postby Andreas » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Surely it's a 45rpm-press, and not 33. That would mean that the song quite possibly isn't longer than 5-6 minutes, tops.

And as with vulnicura singles, radio edits will most probably be limited to radio, and not for commercial release. #monitorsebay :naughty:
Andreas
[telegram]

Postby epicurus » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Garnet in the Eden wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/playlist

new on their playlist for the 18th september.

It's on the b list while beck f.i. Is on the a list. Does this mean it's not a radio friendly song?
epicurus
[telegram]

Postby Burnface » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 12:31 pm

In this thread:

Burnface
[biophilia]

Postby Smörgås » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 12:35 pm

epicurus wrote:

It's on the b list while beck f.i. Is on the a list. Does this mean it's not a radio friendly song?
6 Music is less mainstream already, so it's like a B list of a C list station.

Björk hasn't been radio friendly since the 90s.
Smörgås
[biophilia]

Postby faber » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 12:36 pm

epicurus wrote:does this mean it's not a radio friendly song?

color me surprised :lol:
faber
[biophilia]

Postby epicurus » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Smörgås wrote:
epicurus wrote:

6 Music is less mainstream already, so it's like a B list of a C list station.

Björk hasn't been radio friendly since the 90s.

In Belgium she had a radio hit with Earth Intruders, being in the listeners chart for weeks. I remember being in the UK and they played in on radio 1. Also Stonemilker was played on a mainstream radio in Belgium quite a few times. At a radio station like BBC Radio 6 she should be A list. Let me put it different. Will the song be even less radio friendly then what we expected?
epicurus
[telegram]

Postby Anak » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 2:18 pm

Could she just be on the B List because she's :logo: ?
Anak
[medúlla]

Postby faber » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 2:39 pm

idk, Volta singles were catchy and the intended radio edits of Stonemilker and Lionsong weren't that bad. I think Stonemilker had that classic 90s Björk sound that radio would have played.

i think Biophilia was the only really radio unfriendly era of hers, and even then they chose Crystalline - the poppiest song on the record - as a first single. So if The Gate is at a Vertebrae by Vertebrae, Dark Matter, Family level of not being "pop"-accessible, that would be a first...no?
faber
[biophilia]

Postby cowboy » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 2:39 pm

epicurus wrote:In Belgium she had a radio hit with Earth Intruders, being in the listeners chart for weeks. I remember being in the UK and they played in on radio 1. Also Stonemilker was played on a mainstream radio in Belgium quite a few times. At a radio station like BBC Radio 6 she should be A list. Let me put it different. Will the song be even less radio friendly then what we expected?

so does stonemilker sound radio friendly to you? If it was played a few times is because the people in the radio liked it.
As for earth intruders i really hate how oli labeled volta as the most radio friendly since homogenic or something like that, that is the reason most people hate volta because they have this idea that volta is only innocence and earth intruders, but i blame oli, for stigmatize such a good record.

Btw........ Did this vinyl pic was deleted? I dont find it :dizzy:
cowboy
[telegram]

Postby faber » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 2:58 pm

well yes, Stonemilker is a cute string ballad, obviously nothing too commercial, but it's not Black Lake :mrgreen:

And Earth Intruders was kinda trendy in its radio passage, wasn't it? I understand your comment about how Volta was marketed tho.

Anyway, i think you can still see the videos on Björk's Instagram Story?
faber
[biophilia]

Postby Smörgås » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Yeah the videos are still there (00:05 GMT... shit I'm pissed!)

It's reminding me of Dancer in the Dark. Anyone else? The whole machine thing with a digital camera. DITD is far from Utopia, though.
Smörgås
[biophilia]

Postby faber » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 3:11 pm

Smörgås wrote:DITD is far from Utopia, though.

It is tho? Wasn't Selma searching for that? Or was that only a foolish illusion? :)
faber
[biophilia]

Postby mrs bungle » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 3:29 pm

epicurus wrote:in Belgium she had a radio hit with Earth Intruders, being in the listeners chart for weeks. I remember being in the UK and they played in on radio 1. Also Stonemilker was played on a mainstream radio in Belgium quite a few times. At a radio station like BBC Radio 6 she should be A list. Let me put it different. Will the song be even less radio friendly then what we expected?

I don't think it's to do with it being less radio friendly - while björk has a big fanBase in the uk (consistently selling out shows etc), she's not considered a radio friendly artist. B-list at 6 music is decent - it means around 15 plays a week (a list is around 25, c list around 10, if I remember correctly).
mrs bungle
[telegram]

Postby tellthemstories » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 3:40 pm

her lead single from each album always gets zane low's best new track on radio one tho
tellthemstories
[dr9]

Postby Lionsong » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Ok I'm just dying laughing imagining if b had released ancestors as the lead single for medulla

Imagine that on the radio!! Hahaha
Lionsong
[homogenic]

Postby tellthemstories » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Lionsong wrote:Ok I'm just dying laughing imagining if b had released ancestors as the lead single for medulla

Imagine that on the radio!! Hahaha

beautiful
tellthemstories
[dr9]

Postby mrs bungle » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 4:09 pm

tellthemstories wrote:her lead single from each album always gets zane low's best new track on radio one tho

True, she does get recognition from 'alternative' dj's :) When I say she's not considered radio-friendly, I mean she doesn't tend to be on the regular-rotation playlists, and her singles aren't expected to be charting in the top 40
mrs bungle
[telegram]

Postby epicurus » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 4:57 pm

mrs bungle wrote:
epicurus wrote:in Belgium she had a radio hit with Earth Intruders, being in the listeners chart for weeks. I remember being in the UK and they played in on radio 1. Also Stonemilker was played on a mainstream radio in Belgium quite a few times. At a radio station like BBC Radio 6 she should be A list. Let me put it different. Will the song be even less radio friendly then what we expected?

I don't think it's to do with it being less radio friendly - while björk has a big fanBase in the uk (consistently selling out shows etc), she's not considered a radio friendly artist. B-list at 6 music is decent - it means around 15 plays a week (a list is around 25, c list around 10, if I remember correctly).

One thing i need to add is that all the other songs are already 'known' for the radio station, only björk's is still unheard also for them i guess. It's the same as with us fans who bought the album and single without knowing it, i guess they put it on the playlist without having heard it. So at second thought b list is a fair deal.
epicurus
[telegram]

Postby cancan » Tue, Sep, 12, 2017 5:35 pm

4 days to go Image
cancan
[post]

PreviousNext

x Users browsing this forum: dober