The Gate

Björk's upcoming ninth studio album - details to be announced soon

Re: The Gate

Postby jp4151 » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 11:20 am

m.thr.n wrote:^ I think it’s important to stress the fact that it will be played at some point during a two-hour radio show. Mainly for the people who might have other plans, but also as for the “but she said very soon” crowd. (Spoiler alert: you might have to wait a bit.)

Good to know.

This is exciting!
User avatar
jp4151
[telegram]
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat, Jan, 17, 2015 12:55 pm
Location: Hollywood, CA

Re: The Gate

Postby Smörgås » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 11:24 am

They'll probably play it close to the end so people listen to more of the show. I hope I'm wrong!
User avatar
Smörgås
[biophilia]
 
Posts: 5394
Joined: Mon, Aug, 14, 2006 6:58 am
Location: Bretland

Re: The Gate

Postby Anak » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 11:31 am

m.thr.n wrote:(Spoiler alert: you might have to wait a bit.)


What does that word after "to" mean
User avatar
Anak
[medúlla]
 
Posts: 2192
Joined: Sun, Jan, 04, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Gate

Postby mikeofcetacea » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 11:36 am

I'm starting to think that the rollout for this album era is intentionally quiet and minimal.

like, a flower blooming. not chaotic or sudden, but slow and soft and over a protracted period of time.

premiering the song during an early morning radio show sounds so peaceful. and revealing the video over the weekend as a film feels similar chill.

maybe i give them too much credit, but intentionality seems to be important to b and everyone she works with. from editorial shoots to costuming to touring to guest appearances, everything ties into the content of the accompanying album. curious if this promotion is in someway also a metaphor.

but maybe I'm just looking into it too much

Image

Image
User avatar
mikeofcetacea
[telegram]
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri, Aug, 04, 2006 5:47 am
Location: NYC

Re: The Gate

Postby faber » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 11:52 am

Kriss85 wrote:"it looks like" for sure but i bet he did. and i can add it is indeed "amazing"

You'll hear the song in two days anyway, i m so thrilled to hear it again


hype
User avatar
faber
[biophilia]
 
Posts: 4622
Joined: Tue, Aug, 30, 2011 10:09 am
Location: Italy

Re: The Gate

Postby mountaintide » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 12:11 pm

m.thr.n wrote:^ I think it’s important to stress the fact that it will be played at some point during a two-hour radio show. Mainly for the people who might have other plans, but also as for the “but she said very soon” crowd. (Spoiler alert: you might have to wait a bit.)


i said that.
User avatar
mountaintide
[post]
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat, May, 13, 2017 6:38 pm
Location: London

Re: The Gate

Postby tellthemstories » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 12:25 pm

mikeofcetacea wrote:I'm starting to think that the rollout for this album era is intentionally quiet and minimal.

like, a flower blooming. not chaotic or sudden, but slow and soft and over a protracted period of time.

premiering the song during an early morning radio show sounds so peaceful. and revealing the video over the weekend as a film feels similar chill.

maybe i give them too much credit, but intentionality seems to be important to b and everyone she works with. from editorial shoots to costuming to touring to guest appearances, everything ties into the content of the accompanying album. curious if this promotion is in someway also a metaphor.

but maybe I'm just looking into it too much

Image

Image


no i agree
User avatar
tellthemstories
[dr9]
 
Posts: 2811
Joined: Tue, Feb, 01, 2005 3:23 pm
Location: palestine

Re: The Gate

Postby m.thr.n » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 12:38 pm

mikeofcetacea wrote:maybe i give them too much credit


I think you definitely do, even though your interpretation of the messy album rollout is very sweet. :)

The music business is a huge mess; to some degree it always has been, but it’s especially true these days. Even the most-perfected rollout campaigns usually have their WTF-moments and little fuсk-ups — and remember, we’re not talking about a huge seller here.

The current perceived quiet of the :logo:LP9 promo campaign that mikeofcetacea mentioned can be probably attributed to A) her team not being savvy enough in navigating the post-press/streaming music world, and B) the promo campaign simply being about a new Björk album in 2017. (Spoiler alert #2: less people than you think care.) Hence the 5am morning show debut spot. She’s not going to be mainstream anymore even if she releases a top-20-worth banger; unless she has a publicized feud with Kanye or Taylor or whomever Condé Nast et al. are currently trying to shove down our throats.
User avatar
m.thr.n
[biophilia]
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Wed, Dec, 08, 2010 9:58 am
Location: the glorious land

Re: The Gate

Postby tofu » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 12:40 pm

m.thr.n wrote:^ I think it’s important to stress the fact that it will be played at some point during a two-hour radio show. Mainly for the people who might have other plans, but also as for the “but she said very soon” crowd. (Spoiler alert: you might have to wait a bit.)


good point !
User avatar
tofu
[vespertine]
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun, Aug, 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Re: The Gate

Postby faber » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 12:57 pm

good fella m.thr.n has once again hit the spot straight in the center :blackduck:

but i think a low key premiere on radio was also done to prevent leaks and such?

i repeat (just in case oli is somehow reading lol) - a surprise friday release would do better, if not for sales - for quality, if that makes sense. After all, björk pushed to surprise release vulnicura after the leak also to make sure the album was heard as it was supposed to. i'm not the type to have a meltdown, but i would be mad if we'll stick with a crappy radio rip for 3 days :?
User avatar
faber
[biophilia]
 
Posts: 4622
Joined: Tue, Aug, 30, 2011 10:09 am
Location: Italy

Re: The Gate

Postby jp4151 » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Bjork seems very protective of her work and as unorganized as it might seem to us there must be some semblance of a marketing strategy behind the roll out, even if it's still being worked out.

And I think all of her albums since Vespertine have had major leaks (except maybe Medulla?) so I can completely understand her taking every precaution to do this release exactly as she wants. And since we have no control over when and how the material is released, let's just enjoy the ride because sooner or later a new album is coming.
User avatar
jp4151
[telegram]
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat, Jan, 17, 2015 12:55 pm
Location: Hollywood, CA

Re: The Gate

Postby m.thr.n » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 1:18 pm

faber wrote:good fella m.thr.n has once again hit the spot straight in the center :blackduck:


*high fiving across them miles & borders*

faber wrote:but i think a low key premiere on radio was also done to prevent leaks and such?


All due respect but no. :lol: I think I’m repeating myself here, but I guess it won’t hurt to spell it out again — albums don’t leak because a tracklisting is announced, or because a single is sent to the radio, or because any kind of rollout campaign is conducted. Also, sorry to burst some people’s bubble, but there are no “hackers” or “leakers working overtime” waiting out there to get Björk’s new album, or whatever concept 4umers have come up with recently (though I do applaud the creativity!).

Albums leak because someone with the access to the material (and that’s a broad category — it might be a friend of a journalist, a shop assistant who happens to have access to physical copies, someone working in the studio where the mastering is done months before the release, a friend of a friend of a friend etc.) decides to share it online. Simple as that. And it’s usually the 10th or so person in the chain — just don’t share it with anyone else! — who’s the one to put it up on torrent sites, which sometimes makes leaks even harder to track. Anyway, you can’t really minimise the chances for a leak by limiting promo — and limiting promo might seriously hurt potential sales (even though most acts these days do promo not for actual album sales but to sell concert tickets because that’s how you earn money these days — but that’s another topic).

(Oh, and please don’t bring Madonna’s case into this, I know her unfinished record got kind of stolen, but it was one-of-a-kind situation and Björk is not Madonna.)

faber wrote:i repeat (just in case oli is somehow reading lol) - a surprise friday release would do better, if not for sales - for quality, if that makes sense.


Now that’s very smart thinking and I agree they theoretically should do it BUT usually getting this kind of radio promo means giving them an “exclusive” - therefore OLI (probably) can’t legally release the single anywhere until Monday, and BBC6 will be the only source for a few days.

jp4151 wrote:And I think all of her albums since Vespertine have had major leaks (except maybe Medulla?) so I can completely understand her taking every precaution to do this release exactly as she wants.


Biophilia hasn’t though, right? I mean, it leaked the same week it was put up on NPR to stream IIRC.
Last edited by m.thr.n on Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
m.thr.n
[biophilia]
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Wed, Dec, 08, 2010 9:58 am
Location: the glorious land

Re: The Gate

Postby jp4151 » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 1:22 pm

m.thr.n wrote:
jp4151 wrote:And I think all of her albums since Vespertine have had major leaks (except maybe Medulla?) so I can completely understand her taking every precaution to do this release exactly as she wants.


Biophilia hasn’t though, right? I mean, it leaked the same week it was put up on NPR to stream IIRC.

I don't know how it leaked, but I do remember listening to the finished Biophilia album (not the apps) before the release date (shame on me...). That's when I started getting into her.
User avatar
jp4151
[telegram]
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat, Jan, 17, 2015 12:55 pm
Location: Hollywood, CA

Re: The Gate

Postby m.thr.n » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 1:28 pm

jp4151 wrote:
m.thr.n wrote:
jp4151 wrote:And I think all of her albums since Vespertine have had major leaks (except maybe Medulla?) so I can completely understand her taking every precaution to do this release exactly as she wants.


Biophilia hasn’t though, right? I mean, it leaked the same week it was put up on NPR to stream IIRC.

I don't know how it leaked, but I do remember listening to the finished Biophilia album (not the apps) before the release date (shame on me...). That's when I started getting into her.


Yeah, possible; but if it was indeed only a week before the release, then I don’t count it as a “leak.” :) It’s just inevitable that an album is going to be online a few days before the Release Friday simply because of exclusive pre-release streams, people getting their physical copies shipped earlier, or — best case scenario — New Zealand iTunes putting it up a day before the rest of the world. :lol:
User avatar
m.thr.n
[biophilia]
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Wed, Dec, 08, 2010 9:58 am
Location: the glorious land

Re: The Gate

Postby mikeofcetacea » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 1:37 pm

I love love love all of this thoughtful and considerate conversation about the album release.

m.thr.n -- where do you have all of this knowledge about the music industry from? it's impressive!
User avatar
mikeofcetacea
[telegram]
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri, Aug, 04, 2006 5:47 am
Location: NYC

Re: The Gate

Postby DrBenway12 » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm so excited for tomorrow night! I don't have experience with iPlayer so I'm going to listen live just because you can be 100% it will be on rebroadcast *cough* rbma *cough*

Also i don't get how this is perceived as a sloppy release. She released two magazine features around the same time as announcing the album. the pressing of the single , broadcast of the single and video of the single are all coming out around the same time. that's not something you can do over night I'm sure this took months of planning.
User avatar
DrBenway12
[post]
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat, Jan, 17, 2015 9:47 am
Location: INterzone

Re: The Gate

Postby mrs bungle » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 1:53 pm

mikeofcetacea wrote:m.thr.n -- where do you have all of this knowledge about the music industry from? it's impressive!


It's not exactly insider knowledge, it's just common sense! :)
User avatar
mrs bungle
[telegram]
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri, Jul, 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Re: The Gate

Postby shane » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Can't wait!

m.thr.n wrote:
mikeofcetacea wrote:maybe i give them too much credit


I think you definitely do, even though your interpretation of the messy album rollout is very sweet. :)

The music business is a huge mess; to some degree it always has been, but it’s especially true these days. Even the most-perfected rollout campaigns usually have their WTF-moments and little fuсk-ups — and remember, we’re not talking about a huge seller here.

The current perceived quiet of the :logo:LP9 promo campaign that mikeofcetacea mentioned can be probably attributed to A) her team not being savvy enough in navigating the post-press/streaming music world, and B) the promo campaign simply being about a new Björk album in 2017. (Spoiler alert #2: less people than you think care.) Hence the 5am morning show debut spot. She’s not going to be mainstream anymore even if she releases a top-20-worth banger; unless she has a publicized feud with Kanye or Taylor or whomever Condé Nast et al. are currently trying to shove down our throats.


5am premiere is a bit odd, if it was bbc radio 1 it'd be undestandable. never seen one that early, usually premieres are on the breakfast show or in the afternoon, at least the ones I've been interested in. it's an alternative station and they have a show in the afternoons where they just play weird/obscure bands, surely a later premiere should be doable for bjork. you usually have to wait for the premiere anyway, probably won't be played until around 7. wouldn't be surprised if the announcement of the album name and release date coincides with it.
shane
[debut]
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed, Jan, 13, 2016 8:20 am
Location: UK

Re: The Gate

Postby faber » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 2:00 pm

m.thr.n wrote:All due respect but no. :lol: I think I’m repeating myself here, but I guess it won’t hurt to spell it out again — albums don’t leak because a tracklisting is announced, or because a single is sent to the radio, or because any kind of rollout campaign is conducted. Also, sorry to burst some people’s bubble, but there are no “hackers” or “leakers working overtime” waiting out there to get Björk’s new album, or whatever concept 4umers have come up with recently (though I do applaud the creativity!).

Albums leak because someone with the access to the material (and that’s a broad category — it might be a friend of a journalist, a shop assistant who happens to have access to physical copies, someone working in the studio where the mastering is done months before the release, a friend of a friend of a friend etc.) decides to share it online. Simple as that. And it’s usually the 10th or so person in the chain — just don’t share it with anyone else! — who’s the one to put it up on torrent sites, which sometimes makes leaks even harder to track. Anyway, you can’t really minimise the chances for a leak by limiting promo — and limiting promo might seriously hurt potential sales (even though most acts these days do promo not for actual album sales but to sell concert tickets because that’s how you earn money these days — but that’s another topic).

Now that’s very smart thinking and I agree they theoretically should do it BUT usually getting this kind of radio promo means giving them an “exclusive” - therefore OLI (probably) can’t legally release the single anywhere until Monday, and BBC6 will be the only source for a few days.


Oh yes, i already agreed with you on that some times ago. I expressed myself really bad, what I meant was preventing shitty leaks or snippet coming from the video premiere ruining the fun of hearing the song. I guess releasing low-key on the radio (with no publications like Pitchfork, which run on the news of her releasing B9 in november, even mentioning this supposed worldwide release) is also conscious knowing really hardcore fans will listen to it in this way. But - it's all an illusion :lol: I don't believe in this either, actually your point of them giving the exclusive makes more sense .

Btw, Biophilia leaked in the sense we all listened to the full album months before in form of bootlegs recordings from MIF. It was actually leaked three weeks earlier than supposed.
User avatar
faber
[biophilia]
 
Posts: 4622
Joined: Tue, Aug, 30, 2011 10:09 am
Location: Italy

Re: The Gate

Postby mikeofcetacea » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 2:03 pm

mrs bungle wrote:
mikeofcetacea wrote:m.thr.n -- where do you have all of this knowledge about the music industry from? it's impressive!


It's not exactly insider knowledge, it's just common sense! :)


8) with respect, i disagree. album promotion utilizes a specific kind of business strategy, one with it's own pitfalls and adaptations made necessary by rapid and ever-changing consumption preferences and market participation.

i love music, i love buying music, i love going to concerts, etc., but the music industry requires its own prerequisite knowledge. i sure as hell don't know how I would handle marketing my own album if i were a musician, haha. let alone trying to imagine how björk/oli/their team are doing so themselves. :lol:
User avatar
mikeofcetacea
[telegram]
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri, Aug, 04, 2006 5:47 am
Location: NYC

PreviousNext


x Users browsing this forum: banshees