The Gate

Björk's upcoming ninth studio album - details to be announced soon

Re: The Gate

Postby m.thr.n » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 2:09 pm

faber wrote:It was actually leaked three weeks earlier than supposed.

You are right, I guess I have dementia at 27! :lol: I was sure it hadn’t leaked earlier.

mrs bungle wrote:
mikeofcetacea wrote:m.thr.n -- where do you have all of this knowledge about the music industry from? it's impressive!

It's not exactly insider knowledge, it's just common sense! :)

Exactly, I’m no expert! As mrs bungle put it, it’s just common sense, perhaps coloured with some stories from friends working in the industry, as well my own experience doing non-musical work for a certain promo (non-major) campaign and being faced with the dirt underneath the façade. :lol: And of course being flooded with thinkpieces about The State of the Music Industry™ every other day on my newsfeeds, as we all are. It surely is a burning circus but what can you do.

Also, I would like to stress that I don’t know what Björk’s/OLI’s promo plan is. I’m just guessing based on observing dozens of other artists/labels doing it over the past few years. But it’s still only a guess! And she likes to surprise.

DrBenway12 wrote:Also i don't get how this is perceived as a sloppy release. She released two magazine features around the same time as announcing the album. the pressing of the single , broadcast of the single and video of the single are all coming out around the same time. that's not something you can do over night I'm sure this took months of planning.

Well, “sloppy” is a strong adjective, but I think that most of the frustrations come from the fact that they still haven’t announced important info about the record, i.e. the cover, the artwork, and the tracklisting. Personally I don’t mind, I undestand why these things might not be finalized just yet, but I also see why people consider it a “weird” practice. In this short attention span era bands/artists tend to drop the whole package at once.

Which, of course, doesn’t excuse entitled whining. Again, repeating myself — I understand everyone’s excitement but please enjoy some other records in the meantime. Björk’s album is going to arrive sooner or later, we all know that. Instead of wasting our energy at OLI’s semi-failed and incohesive attempts at promo we should all just find something else to appreciate before :logo:LP9 drops — time flies by fast if you’re busy! There’s a myriad of artists and LPs worth your time out there. :aifol:

Going to bed, peace. xx
m.thr.n
[biophilia]

Postby mikel1814 » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 2:29 pm

I assume album cover and art are coming with the release of the single, probably friday.

It's rather common and good pr for each new piece of pr to promote the next.
mikel1814
[telegram]

Postby DrBenway12 » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 4:11 pm

m.thr.n wrote:Well, “sloppy” is a strong adjective, but I think that most of the frustrations come from the fact that they still haven’t announced important info about the record, i.e. the cover, the artwork, and the tracklisting. Personally I don’t mind, I undestand why these things might not be finalized just yet, but I also see why people consider it a “weird” practice. In this short attention span era bands/artists tend to drop the whole package at once.

Which, of course, doesn’t excuse entitled whining. Again, repeating myself — I understand everyone’s excitement but please enjoy some other records in the meantime. Björk’s album is going to arrive sooner or later, we all know that. Instead of wasting our energy at OLI’s semi-failed and incohesive attempts at promo we should all just find something else to appreciate before :logo:LP9 drops — time flies by fast if you’re busy! There’s a myriad of artists and LPs worth your time out there. :aifol:

Going to bed, peace. xx

Totes agree.
DrBenway12
[post]

Postby Culori » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Culori
[telegram]

Postby homogenic2004 » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 10:31 pm

Culori wrote:even urban has a preorder: https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/bj ... &color=001

Nice find !

now we have some new information, or at least confirmation that the lp is 1 track.

Slated for inclusion on her upcoming ninth studio album, Björk's single The Gate is now available to own on 12" vinyl. Following her 2015 album Vulniculture, an introspective journey into a very personal loss, the Icelandic queen of avant-pop describes The Gate as polar opposite: a love song that's transcendent, written during the global political upheaval of 2016 to offer a blueprint for utopia. Co-produced with Venezuelan artist Arca. 2017, One Little Indian.

Tracklisting
1. The Gate
homogenic2004
[homogenic]

Postby stavaas » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Less than 24 hours!
stavaas
[homogenic]

Postby borsijb » Wed, Sep, 13, 2017 10:47 pm

following her 2015 album vulniculture

they sure got their facts right! :lol:
borsijb
[telegram]

Postby judaschrist » Thu, Sep, 14, 2017 12:59 am

m.thr.n wrote:Well, “sloppy” is a strong adjective, but I think that most of the frustrations come from the fact that they still haven’t announced important info about the record, i.e. the cover, the artwork, and the tracklisting. Personally I don’t mind, I undestand why these things might not be finalized just yet, but I also see why people consider it a “weird” practice. In this short attention span era bands/artists tend to drop the whole package at once.

I kind of agree with you that it is up to them to inform about the release when they feel that it is the right time to do so (even though I have a feeling they don't always know what exactly they're doing).

What I don't like is that attitude of putting up a pre-order (e.g. The Gate 12") and mentioning it is an EXCLUSIVE SUPER LIMITED RELEASE and everyone here almost causing a frenzy and 3 days later you can buy it on a lot of other platforms and the quantity produced is actually 10'000... that is just shabby!
judaschrist
[debut]

Postby faber » Thu, Sep, 14, 2017 1:11 am

Guys, you should know better that Björk's releases, with her intricate production and additional visual outputs are very needy of money. Considering in these years she sold her clothes and houses, I guess she no longer can pay all for herself. One Little Indian is a small indie label. I know this way of luring collectors into buying releases is tricky, but remember : No money no music :lol:
faber
[biophilia]

Postby Germanyon » Thu, Sep, 14, 2017 1:16 am

i think it makes sense in the morning, its the gate, its the beginning, the entry point of a new day, a new album, a new era, new spiritual future, in the morning it makes organically sense to me. so beautiful. :sacrifice: :sacrifice: :sacrifice: :sacrifice: :sacrifice:
Germanyon
[dr9]

Postby peiboool87 » Thu, Sep, 14, 2017 1:19 am

faber wrote:Guys, you should know better that Björk's releases, with her intricate production and additional visual outputs are very needy of money. Considering in these years she sold her clothes and houses, I guess she no longer can pay all for herself. One Little Indian is a small indie label. I know this way of luring collectors into buying releases is tricky, but remember : No money no music :lol:

the music she makes may be expensive, but i don't think she's broke! cmon, she's been in the music industry for 30 years! she's still relevant, her shows are sold out,... she sold her house and clothes for any other reason :|
peiboool87
[debut]

Postby Bonkiii » Thu, Sep, 14, 2017 1:21 am

Finally, they write co-produced by Arca. I hate it, when they write produced by Arca. that's not true! But Björk already talked about that problem.
Bonkiii
[post]

Postby faber » Thu, Sep, 14, 2017 1:23 am

peiboool87 wrote:
faber wrote:Guys, you should know better that Björk's releases, with her intricate production and additional visual outputs are very needy of money. Considering in these years she sold her clothes and houses, I guess she no longer can pay all for herself. One Little Indian is a small indie label. I know this way of luring collectors into buying releases is tricky, but remember : No money no music :lol:

the music she makes may be expensive, but i don't think she's broke! cmon, she's been in the music industry for 30 years! she's still relevant, her shows are sold out,... she sold her house and clothes for any other reason :|

I'm sure she's no broke :lol: But still, not even Madonna pays entirely for her releases, and the label takes part in the process. Considering OLI is indie and probably has low budget in the streaming music era, i'm can't condemn them for kinda milking with their releases because...what else can they do :shifty:
faber
[biophilia]

Postby m.thr.n » Thu, Sep, 14, 2017 2:16 am

faber wrote:
peiboool87 wrote:

I'm sure she's no broke :lol: But still, not even Madonna pays entirely for her releases, and the label takes part in the process. Considering OLI is indie and probably has low budget in the streaming music era, i'm can't condemn them for kinda milking with their releases because...what else can they do :shifty:

Exactly. She’s not a starving artist but there’s also no way she’s financing her album with Ísadóra’s college fund.
m.thr.n
[biophilia]

Postby error » Thu, Sep, 14, 2017 3:47 am

I guess Björk ltd./inc. pays for the content creation and OLI finances the product reproduction/distribution.
error
[vespertine]

Postby Kriss85 » Thu, Sep, 14, 2017 5:01 am

the song is already out in NZ/australia.

https://twitter.com/chrisjtse/status/908303203543818240
Kriss85
[volta]

Postby far & away » Thu, Sep, 14, 2017 5:03 am

hey wow amazing :mrgreen: not australian >
far & away
[vulnicura]

Postby faber » Thu, Sep, 14, 2017 5:04 am

waitttt so surprise tomorrow release it is??!?!??!?!? HOLD ME!
faber
[biophilia]

Postby error » Thu, Sep, 14, 2017 5:12 am

In 9 hours it will be tomorrow over here… normally fresh tunes on Spotify Fridays are released on 0:00:01.

I will ignore transcoded mp3 'leaks' or snippets.
error
[vespertine]

Postby mikeofcetacea » Thu, Sep, 14, 2017 5:20 am

someone on twitter in the pacific shared the spotify widget for the song, so I clicked through. I can't listen to it yet here in the us, but - details! :mrgreen:

6 min and 39 seconds!! :D
mikeofcetacea
[telegram]

PreviousNext

x Users browsing this forum: animatorunio, cowboy, elmstead, henz, peanoot3, unknownness, Unravel Virus