[New Album] tour coming?

Björk's ninth studio album - more info soon

Re: [New Album] tour coming?

Postby mrs bungle » Sat, Aug, 12, 2017 2:57 pm

You guys need to find better festivals. Try smaller ones instead of big corporate ones . . . thought it might be counterproductive since small festivals can't afford to book Bjork. :lol:
Oh, absolutely: small festivals can be wonderful when they pull together a crowd of like-minded people! But the festivals Björk hits in England tend to be mid to large, with plenty of bored people in the crowd like I was talking about.

she'd be a great headliner for a slightly more alternative smallish festival like Field day. But I do think some of her songs don't work as well in an open-air setting (unless there's just been bad sound whenever I've seen her outside)
mrs bungle
[telegram]

Postby m.thr.n » Sun, Aug, 13, 2017 3:03 am

You guys need to find better festivals. Try smaller ones instead of big corporate ones . . . thought it might be counterproductive since small festivals can't afford to book Bjork. :lol:
Oh, absolutely: small festivals can be wonderful when they pull together a crowd of like-minded people! But the festivals Björk hits in England tend to be mid to large, with plenty of bored people in the crowd like I was talking about.

she'd be a great headliner for a slightly more alternative smallish festival like Field day. But I do think some of her songs don't work as well in an open-air setting (unless there's just been bad sound whenever I've seen her outside)
Yeah, I get what you're saying. My only Bjork live experience so far was at a festival and while the audience was very attentive - they were there for her, so no drunk idiots talking through the concert - and the sound was good, I'm still not 100% sure her music translates that well to big open-air spaces (yes, I know she disagrees and loves an outdoors concert). Sure, there were some pyrotechnics, animations/visuals, a dancing choir and other gimmicks, but the songs didn't... fill the space, if you know what I mean? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the gig a lot, but I wasn't blown away.

You could argue that after being a fan for years my bar was simply too high, but maybe she just works better in smaller venues. Concert halls, opera houses, churches, whatever - they all seem to fit her style better. I remember Bjork herself saying she makes music for headphones and perhaps the more intimate setting, the better you can appreciate her performance.
m.thr.n
[biophilia]

Postby Andreas » Sun, Aug, 13, 2017 3:41 am

First time I saw björk was at the Roskilde festival in 2003. It was amazing. The best I've ever seen tbh. She was on fire, she started calm and then accelerated, and it all climaxed in glorious fireworks. Huge audience, as she was the closing act of the festival. And I got to know a lot of diehard fans from all over Europe.

Then I SAW her in manchester at the world music festival, and clearly the audience was there for her. I count this as more of a solo gig than a festival performance. It was so intimate and nice. I saw the Biophilia tour again at Øya-festival here in Oslo (it's a small city festival), and it was so and so. The audience was a mix of 30% people who was there to see björk, and the rest was just there because they were curious about her. Bjork did an awesome job interacting and getting the audience to dance, but the guards were removing people that did dance. When björk played 'declare independence' and 'natura' she shouted "jump" a lot but the guards walked around removing people that were jumping... Also a lot of those 70% were shouting loudly during the whole gig.

out of these I have to say I enjoyed it the most when the people were there mainly for her. I am completely annoyed by people who talk loudly at concerts, to talk over the music, at festivals. They act like they're at a regular club, drinking beer. They should just walk away cause they have no place there.
Andreas
[telegram]

Postby mrs bungle » Sun, Aug, 13, 2017 2:38 pm

but the songs didn't... fill the space, if you know what I mean?

I remember Bjork herself saying she makes music for headphones and perhaps the more intimate setting, the better you can appreciate her performance.
Yes! You hit the nail on the head! The Albert Hall gig last year made the hair on the back of my neck stand up - she owned that space and you could hear every note exactly as it was meant to be heard.

The festival gigs are fun, and I can understand why she enjoys it from a performance perspective, but they don't do her music justice. All those subtleties that form layers of texture in an intimate setting are lost.
but the guards were removing people that did dance.
Overzealous security is a great way to kill the atmosphere. Worst when the artist is saying 'let them be' as well.
mrs bungle
[telegram]

Postby m.thr.n » Sun, Aug, 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Yes! You hit the nail on the head! The Albert Hall gig last year made the hair on the back of my neck stand up - she owned that space and you could hear every note exactly as it was meant to be heard.
Ooh, I'd love to have seen the Vulnicura acoustic string gigs for that very reason! On the record the beatless versions of the songs were a bit of a drag for me, but I can imagine that Björk's unique delivery made them really come alive during the live performance in such an intimate setting.

It's a funny thing, that performance/venue correlation. We're often quick to say here that churches and concert halls and opera houses are absolutely the best (and they indeed seem so for Björk) but I've seen plenty of gigs in such places that were totally stifled and somehow limited by the surroundings; they would have worked way better in a good old rock club or at a big open-air stage. It's all about the type of performer and their repertoire. Sometimes it's tricky to get it right, I guess, and promoters don't always make the best decisions.
m.thr.n
[biophilia]

Postby Me » Mon, Aug, 14, 2017 6:52 am

OMG! i need a tour! i will move to UK next month, so i would love to see her performing somewhere close!
Me
[volta]

Postby Simontreal » Mon, Aug, 14, 2017 10:55 am

i would be happy to have a cheap / different tour with just arca, b and maybe another beatmaker
Simontreal
[vespertine]

Postby Mike K » Sat, Sep, 09, 2017 2:03 pm

I've had really good luck getting tickets for tours/shows in past...really hoping I get to see her again soon though. This will be #7.
Mike K
[debut]

Postby faber » Sat, Sep, 09, 2017 2:37 pm

we have a new album coming but no news over live shows - that's a first (since :album8: ) no?

I mean, we know she won't be doing hardcore touring anymore, but a couple of "world premiere" shows would be nice

(she's collaborating with gucci's alessandro michele for The Gate, why not thanking him with a show in his birthplace :mrgreen: ?)
faber
[biophilia]

Postby paganpoet » Sun, Sep, 10, 2017 7:59 pm

something never seen before. perhaps incorporating vr and theatrics in her own inimitable style. a story perhaps; a story about the character she will inhabit for the new album.

a mega tour, something other than a live band, beautiful outfit and fireworks. not a musical of any kind, nothing mushy, but I'm yearning for bjork to realise or bring to life her new record on stage which is less traditional. its the obvious next step.
did the biophilia residencies mean nothing to you? :roll:

her videos have beautifully explored a narrative story arch before (the human behaviour / isobel / bachelorette / wanderlust arc for example). live though is very different.

i can't imagine a kate bush 'before the dawn' style theatrical epic would ever work for björk, and it's clear from vulnicura's vr touring and the uncertainty of the vr album that vr's limitations are all too evident. (plus, no way could i personally stand 90+ minutes of wearing a headset. 5 minutes is more than enough. :? )

the biophilia residencies were a wonderful execution of dissecting the music, concept, theory and engagement for a crowd. to then be able to take it home in your hands with the app was the perfect step forward for engagement.

it's far too soon to speculate on what the new album will offer and how that can translate live yet. but as with everything she's ever done, the concept, material and development all have to balance and have context.

however... if the next tour is her just playing solo with a flute, loop-pedal and laptop in little churches, i'd be damn happy with that! she's never done a tori amos/pj harvey-style one-woman-band kind of show. how incredible would that be!? :mrgreen:
paganpoet
[vespertine]

Postby berryjona » Mon, Sep, 18, 2017 10:30 am

a little note of reality: she's not big enough anymore for the biggest festivals like glastonbury, Roskilde, werchter
i disagree. she is big.
berryjona
[telegram]

Postby format » Mon, Sep, 18, 2017 12:37 pm

She was just on BBC radio 2 interviewed about album/gate/video and said she is going to start working out how the flutes will work live (!!) And that she might play flute herself on stage!!!
format
[debut]

Postby berryjona » Mon, Sep, 18, 2017 1:03 pm

She was just on BBC radio 2 interviewed about album/gate/video and said she is going to start working out how the flutes will work live (!!) And that she might play flute herself on stage!!!

woooooow totally cool!

i'm a flautist! this is pretty awesome.
berryjona
[telegram]

Postby gmax1204 » Mon, Sep, 18, 2017 1:12 pm

GLÓ-RA! GLÓ-RA! GLÓ-RA!
gmax1204
[homogenic]

Postby jp4151 » Sat, Sep, 30, 2017 4:36 pm

jp4151
[homogenic]

Postby tellthemstories » Sun, Oct, 01, 2017 3:25 am

a little note of reality: she's not big enough anymore for the biggest festivals like glastonbury, Roskilde, werchter
i disagree. she is big.
yeah that's nonsense, among actual festival goers and music fans she's renowned

she would still pack out the other stage at glastonbury
tellthemstories
[dr9]

Postby cancan » Sun, Oct, 01, 2017 9:25 am

i'm hoping for something like the biophilia stage
with all the 12 flutes around her

the stage starts all black and she starts to the sing until the first verse
then all the lights come in softly in the "my healed chest..." part
in the chorus the lights go full strobelite Image

also that prism background idea would be great for the tour
cancan
[post]

Postby Animal » Sun, Oct, 01, 2017 11:53 am

looool some gay realness plz :lol: :love:
Animal
[dr9]

Postby melimeli » Sun, Oct, 15, 2017 4:45 am

Fist post but I haven't seen any posts about her Tbilisi concerts (nor björk.com announcement) under Sou festival. probably it will be like vulnicura strings concerts even though it's her first show after the release of 'the gate'

more info:

"Good Evening, we are glad to announce that SOU festival continues its program of 2017. In partnership with ROOMS HOTELS, we are honored to present two concerts by the legendary Icelandic musician and one of the most influential artists of our times, Björk. The performances, featuring the strings of Georgian Philharmonic Orchestra, will take place at Tbilisi Concert Hall and State Opera House of Georgia.
• Tbilisi Concert Hall - October 31 - 21:00. The tickets will be available from Monday, 10:00 AM at box office of the concert hall and online at www.tkt.ge. Ticket prices from: 50 to 570 GEL.
• State Opera House of Georgia - November - 21:00. The tickets will be available from Monday, 10:00 AM at box office of the Opera house and online at www.tkt.ge. Ticket prices from: 80 to 750 GEL."

https://www.facebook.com/soufestival/ph ... =3&theater
melimeli
[debut]

Postby tellthemstories » Sun, Oct, 15, 2017 4:55 am

why that's exciting news! i'd love to visit georgia, i wish i could go
tellthemstories
[dr9]

x Users browsing this forum: schmallegory