why i pre-ordered

Björk's ninth studio album - more info soon

why i pre-ordered

Postby mountaintide » Fri, Aug, 11, 2017 7:42 pm

because i know - i mean i just know - the title, artwork, songs, lyrics, music and everything about it is going to be incredible wonderful brilliant and lush, the very pinnacle of 2017. this much i absolutely know. there aren't many artists whose albums i know that i love before i know anything about them, but there are a few, and this is the absolute jewel in the crown of them all. when you feel this way, i don't know why anyone would *not* pre-order. i already know that i bloody love it into little tiny pieces (i knew that in 1990, tbf), the rest is just a matter of time.

gotta say, borderline about the Dazed pics, but those interview ones confirm, this album's going to be everything i could dream about and more.
mountaintide
[post]

Re: why i pre-ordered

Postby DrBenway12 » Sun, Aug, 13, 2017 3:42 pm

Same. In all honesty Im kind of surprised that someone would be so much of a mega fan to be active in these 4ums but then not preorder the album right away. Haha it's kind of odd to me but I would agree, I have a handful of artist that I'll practically love all they put out and can't even imagine them releasing something I wouldn't like or that I felt was trite (not to throw shade but gaga Joanne? C'mon, no.) That being said I'm not just blissfully faithful.. If :logo: really did put out something that felt banal or passé it would be a real life altering day for me. As an example, although I'm not a number one fan or anything, I felt that nin hesitation marks album was a really unimaginative album and since then I haven't really looked into what he's been doing.
DrBenway12
[post]

Postby stupidfambaloo » Sun, Aug, 13, 2017 3:55 pm

why does preordering something or not make you a 'mega-fan'? genuinely curious.
stupidfambaloo
[vespertine]

Location: Red Rocks, 2nd row, seat 27/Detroit First Row Pit Seat 308/City Center Orchestra Front Row seat 115

Postby ultramarine » Sun, Aug, 13, 2017 4:27 pm

likewise curious.

i am only interested in two formats: vinyl for the artwork and the digital release through iTunes; i cannot pre-order the later at this point, for it usually requires a title, the album cover, a single and a release date, and we have none of that yet; and as to the former, i am in no rush to buy it for it will be for purely aesthetic, not listening, purposes, so it's irrelevant when i actually do obtain it; not to mention that ordering from oli, given the numerous stories of their high shipping costs and poor packaging, is not something i am considering, regardless of how supportive i would like to be of björk's label.

pre-ordering at this point just makes no practical sense to me; and if the new selling trick is to capitalize on symbolic loyalty, well, count me out. i readily splurged on all the color vinyls and all the vulnicura remix singles just because i found them pretty and wanted to have them (not sure casual listeners of björk's music would have spent +$400 for such items), but in both cases i knew what i was going to get, unlike now.

again, i am not judging anyone who wants to or did pre-order, for no one is forcing anyone to do so, but measuring fandom by our willingness to acquiesce to marketing strategies, even when they are preposterous, as in this case, is a bit facile; it's the first time i encounter an album pre-order with close to zero concrete information given about the product (just four song titles found in an interview), and i simply find such a pre-order to be meaningless.
ultramarine
[selmasongs]

Postby Here4thenew1 » Sun, Aug, 13, 2017 5:52 pm

^ very well said. <3 <3 <3
Here4thenew1
[post]

Postby cancan » Sun, Aug, 13, 2017 6:27 pm

cancan
[post]

Postby Peterican » Sun, Aug, 13, 2017 6:50 pm

^ very well said. <3 <3 <3
i second this. 8)
Peterican
[biophilia]

Yahoo Messenger: sonarbeatzlikequaver
AOL: mulusonic

Postby DrBenway12 » Sun, Aug, 13, 2017 8:03 pm

I guess what I mean is as a fan of björk's I will buy this album either way so I don't really see the harm in pre-ordering. Historically björk has never released anything I don't like and I can only say this for a few artists. Also i suppose the reason i jumped on board for pre ordering is I also buy vinyl so I will be purchasing the luxury edition which I assume is going to be vinyl along with other items.
DrBenway12
[post]

Postby DrBenway12 » Sun, Aug, 13, 2017 8:04 pm

I definitely did not mean to imply that anyone was less of a fan than me by not pre ordering the album.
DrBenway12
[post]

Postby error » Mon, Aug, 14, 2017 12:29 am

Methinks they should announce (or release) something related to this new album this week, otherwise this whole pre-order thing seems a bit silly. I know there are lots of online stores (and sites like Basecamp) where you can pre-order to be released products (physical and/or digital) but they always give you a date, album title, a cover and in most cases a track or tracklist.

This is the first time I have pre-ordered something without knowing any of these things.

I buy stuff at oli because I'd like to buy music as close to the artist as I can get: at concerts, from their sites or label sites, bandcamp.com etc. So they get most of my money and not blokes like Jeff Bezos.

But I am scared as hell of the OLI packaging skills. They still suck.
error
[vespertine]

Postby Andreas » Mon, Aug, 14, 2017 1:18 am

I don't think pre-ordering or not makes some fans better or worse than others. what if the ones who doesn't pre-order buy concert tickets to wherever björk performs, all over the world, following her around?

we are all fans here. none is better than anyone else. we are all equal.
But I am scared as hell of the OLI packaging skills. They still suck.
terribly true. you'd think they'd outsourced the packaging-part to monkeys.
Andreas
[telegram]

Postby error » Mon, Aug, 14, 2017 1:37 am

I bought the '34 Scores for Piano, Organ, Harpsichord and Celeste' a while ago. It arrived damaged caused by questionable packaging. They were so kind send me another one, noting they would improve the packaging. This one arrived in the exact same packaging as the first one, not in perfect, but acceptable condition. The 2nd one also showed a few issues (wire-o binding leaving marks in the cover) caused by way too tight shrink wrapping.

or are we just whining perfectionists?
error
[vespertine]

Postby JamieH » Mon, Aug, 14, 2017 1:40 am

haven't OLI had packaging feedback for years now? :shifty:
JamieH
[biophilia]

Postby Andreas » Mon, Aug, 14, 2017 2:09 am

I bought the '34 Scores for Piano, Organ, Harpsichord and Celeste' a while ago. It arrived damaged caused by questionable packaging. They were so kind send me another one, noting they would improve the packaging. This one arrived in the exact same packaging as the first one, not in perfect, but acceptable condition. The 2nd one also showed a few issues (wire-o binding leaving marks in the cover) caused by way too tight shrink wrapping.

or are we just whining perfectionists?
sorry to hear that. luckily my '34 scores' book arrived ok, though i ordered it from the shop.bjork.com. somehow it seems they are better at packaging than oli.

i don't think we are whining perfectionists haha! all my cosmogony and crystalline cd singles arrived damaged, case splintered, etc. they replaced the ones they could but one is still shattered. and i had some issues with a couple of vinyls purchased from them. and i think when you pay for shipping, they are in charge of charging so items arrive undamaged. take amazon, for instance. never had any problems with them....
haven't oli had packaging feedback for years now? :shifty:
yes. slowly they are getting better, but still they have some problems...
Andreas
[telegram]

Postby error » Mon, Aug, 14, 2017 2:36 am

I thought the oli andbjork shops are the exact same thing with a different visual skin (and one only sells bjork products)… but the backend is the same.
error
[vespertine]

Postby gmax1204 » Mon, Aug, 14, 2017 4:11 am

I thought the oli andbjork shops are the exact same thing with a different visual skin (and one only sells bjork products)… but the backend is the same.
iirc i couldnt find the toah singles on the björk shop but at OLI instead.
gmax1204
[homogenic]

Postby Smörgås » Mon, Aug, 14, 2017 10:35 am

Is pre-ordering even necessary unless it's a special edition, signed or whatever?

I'll probably buy the album regardless but I don't know how people can pre-order something they know absolutely nothing about. Blind faith, for music anyway, is weird to me.
Smörgås
[biophilia]

Postby Simontreal » Mon, Aug, 14, 2017 10:58 am

i will buy the digipak, jewel case, vinyl and even a colour vinyl if there is one.

maybe a digital copy on the day of release because I cannot wait.

but the overseas shipping price are the most ridiculous and i really buy a lot of records from everywhere. many problems with the shipping dates and the quality of the shipping also.

so unfortunately, i will buy all my copies (and i am not counting my religious need to buy 5-8 copies for my relatives to convince them about our goddess) everywhere except from oli.
Simontreal
[vespertine]

Postby DrBenway12 » Mon, Aug, 14, 2017 11:50 am

Is pre-ordering even necessary unless it's a special edition, signed or whatever?

I'll probably buy the album regardless but I don't know how people can pre-order something they know absolutely nothing about. Blind faith, for music anyway, is weird to me.
Yes, before I think I was equating purchasing the album to pre ordering... what I mean is if you're enough of a fan to be in a 4um you will probably also purchase the latest album. Only reason I will pre order is for the special luxury edition so I wasn't factoring in just buying it digital or as a CD
DrBenway12
[post]

Postby mountaintide » Mon, Aug, 14, 2017 4:16 pm

Well, it's only necessary if you want to have the feeling of knowing that you bought it at the first opportunity. which is a very great and special feeling.

also, i don't know absolutely nothing about it. i know who it's by, don't i, which is a long way from nothing.

and i don't think it's blind faith either, not when i've got decades of past experience to go by. as in, everything she's ever done has been amazing. would be weird if this one suddenly wasn't. also, with artists i have gone off in the past, they do give you a bit of an indication in advance that they're departing from themselves. and i see no signs of that as far as she is concerned.

right now if i could, i would pre-order her next album after this one too. and the one after that. i wonder if she's got a patreon?
mountaintide
[post]

x Users browsing this forum: mrs bungle