NEW ALBUM thread

Björk's ninth studio album - more info soon

Re: NEW ALBUM thread

Postby homogenic2004 » Tue, Oct, 10, 2017 3:51 pm

anyone could have made that up tho.

shall we wait and see? i think an announcement is imminent
I SHARE THE SAME SENTIMENT. ALSO GIVEN THE CONTEXT OF THE GATE, IT WOULD BE PRETTY ODD IF IT WAS THE 3RD TRACK AND NOT THE FIRST.

TO ME, IT ONLY MAKES SENSE TO HAVE THE GATE AS THE OPENING TRACK, BUT WHO KNOWS. wE HAVE AROUND A MONTH LEFT, SO WE'LL FIND OUT SOON ENOUGH.
homogenic2004
[homogenic]

AOL: voltagenic

Postby mrs bungle » Tue, Oct, 10, 2017 4:50 pm

first track...old school stabs with a skittering beat on that one.

Second track...evolves into skittering patterns again.

Fourth track...gentle skittering beat

gonna listen to it again next week...will post more thoughts then
I suspect they need a week to think of a new adjective
mrs bungle
[telegram]

Postby arucinluv » Tue, Oct, 10, 2017 7:05 pm

arucinluv
[post]

Postby ultramarine » Tue, Oct, 10, 2017 7:39 pm

"utopia" is one of the tracks?
when has :logo: ever used an album title for a song title as well?
never.
ultramarine
[selmasongs]

Postby cancan » Tue, Oct, 10, 2017 8:22 pm

sounds fake af
also where did he/she heard that?
a title track tho
cancan
[post]

Postby error » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 12:49 am

Don't know about you… but I am ready for an official announcement with detailed new album info (release date, cover, luxury edition mockup, tracklist etc. etc.). I mean, it just has to be very soon very soon!
error
[vespertine]

Postby judaschrist » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 12:51 am

Right second listen through now. 14 tracks, just gonna write a few thoughts as I go. first track is called arisen. Lots of almost old school stabs with a skittering beat on that one. Definitely sounds very light and fluffy and different to the gate.

Second track reminds of aurora. Harp and ocals and then a Gentle kick comes in halfway through which evolves into skittering patterns again. Submerged almost whale noises. Vespertine feel all over this.

Third track is the gate.

Fourth track opens with vocals wood winds and then in come strings, very orchestral and then gentle skittering beat and choral voices. 10 minutes long!

Fifth track beat is basically a homogenic beat with flute and orchestration of vespertine.

Had to cut this listen short as was already running late for work but gonna listen to it again next week so if it hasn't been leaked will post more thoughts then. Definitely much less arca than the gate. Best way to describe it for me is vespertine, homogenic and vulnicura mashed up with hints of medulla in some of the vocal elements (beatbox etc)

It's a long album, over an hour. Track titles I remember are body manners, loss, courtship, utopia, arisen, future forever.

It feels like 4 distinct movements which is how the version I was listening To was split between vinyl sides.

It's definitely an easier listen than vulnicura although way too complex to really get a grip on after a couple of listens. The gate definitely feels like a bit of a false start, weirder than much of what is around it
some more quotes:
There was one [song] that definitely had a pretty strong hook near the end, although definitely not in a debut/post way more a vespertine kinda hook. It was definitely more accessible than vulnicura for me but it's way too early to make any real conclusions. Like I said main frame of reference was vespertine, vespertine, vespertine for me.
Definitely much more upbeat than vulnicura, which I still rank as a great piece of work and seeing her perform it twice was great (Hammersmith apollo and the Albert hall) but I definitely find it quite a harrowing listen and it's definitely not one I reach for often when I wanna listen to bjork.
It definitely I feel reflects the time in which she was making it, the moma exhibition, bjork digital etc the first time she has really looked back. But as I said I have barely begun to digest it. The things that are different is there's a lot of strange sonics going on, weird samples etc underneath it all.
even more quotes:
Some of it is very beatless. The tracks that do have beats are split fairly evenly between homogenic style skittering rumbles and the more vespertine style of intricate programming with a lot of power taken out. There was one track in particular that was quite choppy and breakbeaty but it had been treated in a vespertine way
As far as poppy goes I wouldn't say much of it was instantly poppy there were a couple of tracks that were more in that direction but also a lot of long track lengths and slow builds
Last edited by judaschrist on Thu, Oct, 12, 2017 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
judaschrist
[debut]

Postby error » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 1:02 am

no, I am not going to read spoilers.
error
[vespertine]

Postby m.thr.n » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 1:39 am

14 tracks including a title track make me think it's probably fake.

On the other hand, if the album is really going to be released in November and the mastering's done, it's about time they sent it out to music journalists. So who knows? One would just think, though, that somebody who received an advance copy for reviewing purposes would be a more qualified writer ("skittering beat" and "sounds like Homogenic/Vespertine" is kind of lazy writing).

But I like the idea of the album flowing in four distinct movements, and I like "The Gate" being just an odd one out, so I kind of wish it was true.
m.thr.n
[biophilia]

Postby JamieH » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 1:47 am

it's always curious when these write-ups never mention any lyrics... :)
JamieH
[biophilia]

Postby CU830 » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 2:55 am

What makes me suspicious is the mention of strings and "orchestral sound". björk has said in uncertain terms she was tired of strings arrangements and motivated the choice of flutes also as a reaction to the violin overdose of Vulnicura. It'd be unusual for the songs to sound orchestral when we know for a fact the album is built around a 12-piece flute ensemble. We have had news of harps and extra instrumentation being added in the final months of production but the vagueness of the description makes me think the tea spiller is just trying to come up with a believable björk-like sound (choirs! Vocal work! orchestra! Skittering beats!). the comparisons with basically 60% of björk's whole catalogue sounds like an attempt to conveniently cover all the bases too (it's like Vespertine but also like Homogenic but also like medúlla but also like Vulnicura even if it's an easier listen than vulnicura but super complex at the same time?)

the gate being different than the rest of the album? dazed describes the songs as having "an unusual form" and featuring arca's "twisted take on electronic music", so it's kind of strange the gate is the weirdest and arca-est track. the "light and fluffy" description was given by björk verbatim in the w interview we all read yesterday, in reference to the choice of flutes compared to the heaviness of vulnicura.

The fact there's no mention of rabit or the album's "moments of brutality", which dazed reported as being quite recognizable, is fishy. And no mention of the birdsong and insect chirping interludes? it sounds like they forgot about the most peculiar things of the record.

the titles are a mix of already confirmed, already rumoured and plain wtf (a title track? body manners?). I don't believe for one second björk the atom-dancing stonemilker would be so lazy to name a song about new love "courtship". Come on.

also, if i understand correctly, the tea spiller claims to be listening to the vinyl release? we haven't even had an official announcement yet and the vinyl has already gone through printing?

Long story short: i call bullshit. even if the tea turns out to be true, this person needs to work very hard on their creating writing skills.
Last edited by CU830 on Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CU830
[debut]

Postby mikeofcetacea » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 2:58 am

hear, hear. can someone start a thread for people who want to discuss possibly leaked information like this? there are many of us who want to keep this special :(
mikeofcetacea
[telegram]

Postby m.thr.n » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 3:08 am

hear, hear. can someone start a thread for people who want to discuss possibly leaked information like this? there are many of us who want to keep this special :(
I hate to put it like this because I like your posts, guys, but if you want the album to be a total surprise, you should avoid the 4um until the release day. Every bit of information or rumour is going to be shared, discussed and dissected here - that's what this place is for, really. And it's pretty impossible to contain it to one thread only.
m.thr.n
[biophilia]

Postby mikeofcetacea » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 3:26 am

edited: I take this all way too seriously, lol
Last edited by mikeofcetacea on Thu, Oct, 12, 2017 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeofcetacea
[telegram]

Postby Here4thenew1 » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 3:32 am

lol it will be funny if this sip of tea turns out to be true. :lol:
I'm not going to be so quick to call it fake. honestly, little teases of info like this is what many of us want and *need* to hold us together until the not-so-very-soon album is actually released.

I can't wait to compare what they said to what we actually hear on the album.

It's fun to speculate and imagine what the album will sound like based on the scraps on info we're "fed" (whether true or not) along the way. it's a hell of a lot better than :logo: 's team is doing right now. don't even get me started on the subtle insinuation that such info is comparable to a leak proper. foh
Here4thenew1
[post]

Postby Patrigan » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 4:28 am

Sounds fake to me too. On reddit the user said that he heard it at an official streaming of the record and therefor has no further info on it. Still he throws in new titles if songs?
We’ll know soon enough though
Patrigan
[homogenic]

Postby Smörgås » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 9:17 am

The reddit user has been on Reddit for over a year. There's very few posts from them but none of them are shit posts.

I think it's genuine.
Smörgås
[biophilia]

Postby arucinluv » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 9:22 am

hints of medulla in some of the vocal elements (beatbox etc)
lol for real
arucinluv
[post]

Postby Dot » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 9:39 am

lol for real
honeslty, i lost it here
Dot
[vespertine]

Postby Anak » Wed, Oct, 11, 2017 10:18 am

lol for real
honeslty, i lost it here
She DID invent the human voice on that album.
Anak
[medúlla]

x Users browsing this forum: schmallegory