Postby samuelkk » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 7:36 pm

12-piece icelandic flute band!
so the wonder-woods foolow the wonder-bras, makes sense :lol:
Wonderflu
samuelkk
[telegram]

Re: the gate interview @ nowness facebook live

Postby LegeCre » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 9:55 pm

i have a feeling tumblr won't be happy with bjork referencing chinese goddesses... it could easily become a case of "cultural appropriation". hopefully bjork doesn't cross a line
why she should worry about some whiny teens?
LegeCre
[post]

Postby judaschrist » Sat, Sep, 16, 2017 12:33 am

actually, she just confirmed it's an icelandic 12 piece flute section, so it will more like this:

...a Flautukórinn. Maybe even this one. You know, Iceland is a small country. And they're 12. :)
I kind of feel a more wooden flute vibe on Utopia, like in South America or Asia, not that much of metal flutes like in European symphony orchestras or marching bands (if that makes any sense 8) )
judaschrist
[debut]

Postby Ludag » Sat, Sep, 16, 2017 3:24 am

everything she said sounds pretty exciting to me!
I posted some excerpt on
björk.it/bjork-reveals-potential-album-name-to-nowness-utopia/
:love:
Ludag
[post]

Postby shapeshifter » Sat, Sep, 16, 2017 4:49 am

I kind of feel a more wooden flute vibe on Utopia, like in South America or Asia, not that much of metal flutes like in European symphony orchestras or marching bands (if that makes any sense 8) )
Yes, maybe. What I meant is that for the record she said she used Icelandic musicians. And there aren't that many flute players in a country with 334k habitants, the biggest band being The Icelandic Flute Ensemble / Íslenski flautukórinn with fourteen players(?).
She can always change them for another band for the tour, I guess. But I bet that if she's gonna stick with her country mates, she already has/will have the 12 of them rehearsing secretly, like she did with the Icelandic String Octet, the Wonderbrass and Graduale Nobili.
shapeshifter
[homogenic]

Postby ultramarine » Sat, Sep, 16, 2017 5:31 am

actually, she just confirmed it's an icelandic 12 piece flute section, so it will more like this:

...a Flautukórinn. Maybe even this one. You know, Iceland is a small country. And they're 12. :)
but aren't the the "metal" flutes in fact made out of wood? and it's just the outside that is metal? or have i been confused about this all this time? :lol:
ultramarine
[selmasongs]

Postby Dot » Sat, Sep, 16, 2017 5:43 am

i loved this interview so much! i missed interviews, actually. she looks so happy <3
and i'm just as excited for the album as she is! also love the title, i think it works well, especially after having her accept how cliché it is.
and i'm looking forward to anything off a collab with arca, i see nothing wrong with it, it's still her vision. she explained it herself in the interview that they both have a very similar vision of things.
Dot
[vespertine]

Postby gmax1204 » Sat, Sep, 16, 2017 6:28 am

but aren't the the "metal" flutes in fact made out of wood? and it's just the outside that is metal? or have i been confused about this all this time? :lol:
flutes are out of metal most of the time.
recorders are out of wood or plastic(the cheap ones)
idk i'm no woodwind expert. i fell in love with björk because of the strings after all
gmax1204
[homogenic]

the gate interview @ nowness facebook live

Postby epicurus » Sat, Sep, 16, 2017 8:45 am

Well Jefferson Hack (the interviewer) comes in the picture a lot the last couple of years. He seems to be CEO of Dazed, Another Mag and Nowness ...
epicurus
[telegram]

Postby judaschrist » Sat, Sep, 16, 2017 10:45 am

as she finished mixing the album on 14th September, what does that mean for the rollout? when would be the earliest date to release it on CD?
Last edited by judaschrist on Sat, Sep, 16, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
judaschrist
[debut]

Postby epicurus » Sat, Sep, 16, 2017 11:48 am

as she finished mixing the album on 14th September, what does that mean for the rollout? when would be the earlest date to release it on CD?
i'm still hoping for my birthday (november 3), but that would be a tight one i guess
epicurus
[telegram]

Postby borsijb » Sat, Sep, 16, 2017 12:08 pm

the interview has already been watched a million times, that's crazy. videos like notget and mouth mantra have been watched less.
borsijb
[telegram]

Postby m.thr.n » Sun, Sep, 17, 2017 3:29 am

Well Jefferson Hack (the interviewer) comes in the picture a lot the last couple of years. He seems to be CEO of Dazed, Another Mag and Nowness ...
Yeah, and he interviewed :logo: as early as 1995 IIRC. They definitely have a long history together.
as she finished mixing the album on 14th September, what does that mean for the rollout? when would be the earliest date to release it on CD?
A safe estimation would be two months but things can always change.
m.thr.n
[biophilia]

Postby Anak » Sun, Sep, 17, 2017 4:53 am

If she wants to get it out quickly it may be released around a month after mastering (the digital version at least, since I know that's what Tycho did) Not sure how long mastering will take though
Anak
[medúlla]

Postby epicurus » Sun, Sep, 17, 2017 4:56 am

If she wants to get it out quickly it may be released around a month after mastering (the digital version at least, since I know that's what Tycho did) Not sure how long mastering will take though
didn't she mean mastering was finished?
epicurus
[telegram]

Postby Anak » Sun, Sep, 17, 2017 5:17 am

um idk, I don't think I watched that part it's just what I saw others mentioned
Anak
[medúlla]

Postby gmax1204 » Sun, Sep, 17, 2017 6:44 am

mixing. not mastering
(edit: fixed the quote. thx tapatalk)
gmax1204
[homogenic]

the gate interview @ nowness facebook live

Postby tofu » Sun, Sep, 17, 2017 6:58 am

and mastering is often done with the help of someone else or ?? like Mandy Parnell with Biophilia ?!?
tofu
[vespertine]

Postby gmax1204 » Sun, Sep, 17, 2017 7:08 am

^exactly.
gmax1204
[homogenic]

Postby shapeshifter » Sun, Sep, 17, 2017 7:25 am

mastering is done quite fast. a good and experienced mastering engineer (like mandy) is able to master a track in a couple of minutes. mixing is the hardest part. and she said she spent a lot of time on it but she's done now. manufacturing is also pretty darn fast these days too. i don't think it should be that long before the album sees the light of the day. :hyper:
Last edited by shapeshifter on Sun, Sep, 17, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
shapeshifter
[homogenic]

x Users browsing this forum: schmallegory