the gate interview @ nowness facebook live

Björk's ninth studio album - more info soon

Re: the gate interview @ nowness facebook live

Postby shapeshifter » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 1:01 pm

For anyone excited about the hopeful Flute ensemble's joining on tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFnKW84080

this is a small one. Love the alto and bass flute!!
xx :D :hyper:

maybe there will even be a contra bass flute!!!! :love:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0qHyy6U-98

and even this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmxnp_3KUt0
actually, she just confirmed it's an icelandic 12 piece flute section, so it will more like this:

...a Flautukórinn. Maybe even this one. You know, Iceland is a small country. And they're 12. :)
shapeshifter
[homogenic]

Postby Burnface » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 1:15 pm

actually, she just confirmed it's an icelandic 12 piece flute section, so it will more like this:
...a Flautukórinn. Maybe even this one. You know, Iceland is a small country. And they're 12. :)
Oh my dog that sounds heavenly!

:love: :love: :love:
Burnface
[biophilia]

Postby mountaintide » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 1:16 pm

in the old days, it used to just be marketed as a björk album. and then all the interviewers would go on about nellee hooper or tricky or whoever, but the point was very clear, it's a björk album and that was how we accepted and consumed it. i wish it could be like that again.

whatever the case, and even if he saved her, arca's not the bee's knees for me; whatever the extent of his role, either it's a björk album (in which case i can do without constantly hearing about him), or it's a joint album (in which case i'm slightly less keen).
mountaintide
[post]

Postby dnesm » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 1:46 pm

these masks make me wanna know what does she think about sia and her wigs
dnesm
[debut]

Postby Peterican » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 1:52 pm

love the gold blouse. not a fan of the mask.
Peterican
[biophilia]

Yahoo Messenger: sonarbeatzlikequaver
AOL: mulusonic

Postby m.thr.n » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 2:05 pm

love the gold blouse. not a fan of the mask.
The opposite here. :lol: Love the mask but the dress looks as if a cat puked on a thermal blanket.
m.thr.n
[biophilia]

Postby faber » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 2:22 pm

regarding the chinese goddess andy and björk mentioned:

can you spot a pattern? :mrgreen:

i'm sure people worrying about her doing basic yoga stuff or appropriating chinese culture have no reasons. she and her creative team are not basic at all, and this "interpretation" - if i got this right - is very original, i like it
faber
[biophilia]

Postby m.thr.n » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 2:34 pm

i'm sure people worrying about her appropriating chinese culture have no reasons
This. Not to pull out the tired old academic hat, but no use of cultural symbols can be considered 'cultural appropriation' in artistic contexts, so if anyone's getting all worked up on Tumblr they should just shut up and put this energy into something actually productive. :lol:
m.thr.n
[biophilia]

Postby ultramarine » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 2:47 pm

i'm sure people worrying about her appropriating chinese culture have no reasons
This. Not to pull out the tired old academic hat, but no use of cultural symbols can be considered 'cultural appropriation' in artistic contexts, so if anyone's getting all worked up on Tumblr they should just shut up and put this energy into something actually productive. :lol:
thank you.
ultramarine
[selmasongs]

the gate interview @ nowness facebook live

Postby tofu » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 2:53 pm

what a great interview :-) that's the great thing with the internet (instead of TV) we got a 50min interview and not only a 10min talkshow. :-)
very interesting insight in the work process of björk and andrew
tofu
[vespertine]

Postby paganpoet » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 4:42 pm

in the old days, it used to just be marketed as a björk album. and then all the interviewers would go on about nellee hooper or tricky or whoever, but the point was very clear, it's a björk album and that was how we accepted and consumed it. i wish it could be like that again.
Not true. With debut especially, she made such a fuss over nellee hooper and his name was always plastered all over the press from both oli and external perception.

Nellee even has his own acknowledgement/thank you text in the album sleeve! :dizzy:

every album has had a prominent "right-hand-man" figure on-board, who ALL SEEM TO BE ON AT LEAST 2 ALBUMS EACH, BUT ONE WOULD rise to the top in terms of their contribution to the album.

:album1: - Nellee
:album2: - Graham
:album4: - Mark Bell
:album5: - Mark bell
:album6: - Matmos
:album8: - Valgeir
:album10: - Damien taylor (mostly, Mark BELL a close second. both upstaged by timbaland :roll:)
:album11: - Damien Taylor (usurped by Leila at the last minute :lol: )

We've just come full circle in that Björk has found another right-hand-man with Arca for the time-being, and for likely a two album-ish cycle, as they all generally seem to.

Nellee was more of a mentor figure for her with 'Debut'. It appears though that now Björk is the mentor for her new right-hand-man in Arca. But, in terms of headline space and name-dropping, arca's name all over the place is no worse than Nellee's was during 'Debut'.
paganpoet
[vespertine]

Postby chks » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 5:01 pm

there's a difference, though. i'm pretty sure she said arca co-wrote this album and that it is also very much his vision. it seemed that she was stressing that this is definitely a very colaborative effort, perhaps even more so than her previous records. while she would frequently mention those musicians in interviews, the impression i got is that arca is even more involved than they were, with the exception of nellee hooper, perhaps.

that's not a bad thing necessarily, of course, and i could be wrong...
chks
[post]

Postby paganpoet » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 5:11 pm

As I said, I don't see any difference between Arca's likely involvment with Utopia to Nellee's on Debut.

Mark Bell was probably the most enduring out of all the father-figures realistically. He co-wrote more with her than anyone else over the years, he was just very humble about it and wasn't one for twerking in heels and a jock strap. ;D

Out of all of the father-figures, arca is the only one to be something of a solo performer with a fanbase PROFILE THAT EXTENDS beyond THE "IDM" / ELECTRONICA WORLD. Arca wants to be a popstar, and björk knows that tHAT and is mentoring him while extracting his best qualities to apply to her own work. his profile will get in the way of the facts sometimes though.

iF HE WAS STILL JUST fka tWIGS' ANONYMOUS PRODUCER though, it wouldn't be such a big deal and we probably WOULDN'T BE HAVING THIS CONVERSATION. :wink:

I miss mark / LFO. (rip) :cry:
paganpoet
[vespertine]

Postby mountaintide » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 5:26 pm

not true. with debut especially, she made such a fuss over nellee hooper and his name was always plastered all over the press from both oli and external perception.
i am not talking about what was in oli press-releases or what have you, i am speaking simply as a very basic consumer of media, referring to the interviews - in which, as i perceived and remember it, it was always the interviewer who brought up the producer(s), and it was always in the very clear context that we were talking about and promoting a solo björk album.
every album has had a prominent "right-hand-man" figure on-board, who ALL SEEM TO BE ON AT LEAST 2 ALBUMS EACH, BUT ONE WOULD rise to the top in terms of their contribution to the album.
Obviously. but my point is this is more extreme than any of those. he's not just another right-hand man. and it's not just about the amount of name-dropping (though that is definitely greater now), it's the nature of it - which with arca is to the point that it's hard to think of this one primarily as a björk album any more.

it's possible i'm suffering from a delusion on this, but something is making me sick to the back teeth of hearing his name. none of the others ever felt this intrusive on her work.
mountaintide
[post]

Postby mountaintide » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 5:29 pm

iF HE WAS STILL JUST fka tWIGS' ANONYMOUS PRODUCER though, it wouldn't be such a big deal and we probably WOULDN'T BE HAVING THIS CONVERSATION. :wink:
maybe that's what it is. i think you hit the nail on the head.
mountaintide
[post]

Postby cancan » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 5:32 pm

For anyone excited about the hopeful Flute ensemble's joining on tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFnKW84080

this is a small one. Love the alto and bass flute!!
xx :D :hyper:

maybe there will even be a contra bass flute!!!! :love:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0qHyy6U-98

and even this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmxnp_3KUt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_qWZS8NPlU

this version of atlantic with arca beats would be great
cancan
[post]

Postby zokunei » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 5:33 pm

Why wasn't he at this interview and why has he hardly posted anything about this release on social media? Very strange to me
zokunei
[debut]

Postby barried » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 6:07 pm

She looked different. Very happy, open and humorous
barried
[debut]

Postby oneday » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 6:13 pm

she's mentioned it before: she felt like she was in the zone after completing vulnicura, she's on a stride. think about some other huge artists making great, idiosyncratic music, like beach house or grizzly bear, or even radiohead. they have all occasionally made albums back to back that largely sound similar, with only slight thematic or sonic variations.

but as i've said before, this is my opinion. i try to be laid back about what musicians do with their careers and try to understand why they do what they do, preferring an along-for-the-ride kind of appreciation.
beautifully worded and my sentiments as well! :blackduck:
oneday
[debut]

Postby shapeshifter » Fri, Sep, 15, 2017 6:27 pm

As I said, I don't see any difference between Arca's likely involvment with Utopia to Nellee's on Debut.
I think one of the differences is that Nellee Hooper was much a of an acclaimed dance producer back then, not really into making his own music. He was the big name that Björk needed for the beginning of her successful solo career (hence the insistence during interviews). He is also a lot more diverse than Arca. You can't really link "Hella Good" (No Doubt), "It's Oh So Quiet" (Björk) and "Nothing Compares 2 U" (Sinéad O'Connor), for example, all produced by Nellee. Instead, you listen to The Gate and you can immediately link it to several of Arca's tracks ("Anoche", for example). He has a very distinct and a bit repetitive sound. The same can be say about the others, with the exception of Mark, maybe (although his LFO trademark for me was always a bit more prominent in his remixes than on the albums).

Said that, I find however that putting the blame on Arca or bringing in the argument that The Gate "it's not what they expected" but it's OK as it's "transitional" and the new album will be totally different, is a bit of a comfort zone. Like some sort of consolation for not liking the song or something!

It is what it is guys! Take it or leave it! :aifol:
shapeshifter
[homogenic]

x Users browsing this forum: CU830, format, ogeid, sainkho